Out of State Truck Purchases

tips for purchasing a vehicle from out of state


South Sound Truck Out of State Car Sales

We have a lot of customers who purchase used lifted trucks from South Sound Trucks from out of state. When you purchase any vehicle from out of state it’s important that you follow through registering your new truck in your home state. Our sales team and finance department are happy to answer questions on the process and will help where they can. The process to register your truck differs state by state, but there are many similarities in the process.

For most states you’ll have 30 days to complete the registration process, but in some states, such as California, your lifted truck will need to pass an inspection first. You’ll also need to ensure you’ve already obtained insurance and have paid the associated fees and/or taxes before your truck can be licensed and titled in your home state. When you visit your DMV for the actual registration process you’ll need to bring:

*Proof of insurance
*Odometer reading
*Title from the purchase state
*Vin number
*Proof of payment for taxes and/or fees
*Proof of inspection, if needed in your state

Oregon Out of State Vehicle Purchases

We have many truck enthusiasts shop at South Sound Trucks from the state of Oregon. When you purchase a lifted truck from us and live in Oregon you’ll need to take the following steps:

You’ll need to fill out and sign the Application for title and Registration form (Form 735-226). Information you’ll need for that form includes: vehicle description, odometer reading at the time of sale, vehicle owner’s personal information, and if money is owed on the truck be sure to complete the security interest holder section as well.

If you reside in an area of Oregon that requires an inspection then all appropriate paperwork needs to be provided for that.

You’ll also need to pay all applicable fees to the Oregon DMV.

It’s important to note that if a bank or finance company is holding the vehicle title you’ll need to send a specific letter to the bank requesting that the outstanding title be sent to the Oregon DMV.

Follow this link for full instructions on how to register your out of state lifted truck in Oregon, a breakdown of registration fees, and for a copy of the “To Security Interest Holder" letter.

Idaho Out of State Vehicle Purchases

Idaho is probably the third most common state we have customers visit South Sound Trucks from and one of the easier states to register an out of state purchase. The steps follow the same rules as if you purchased from a private party within the state of Idaho and are outlined below:

You’ll need to fill out both the Application for Certificate of Title (Form ITD ITD 3337) and Vehicle or Hull Identification Number Inspection Certification (Form ITD 3403).

Have a completed Bill of Sale.

You’ll also need the title certificate with the odometer disclosure filled out.

Costs to register the vehicle include a $14 title transfer fee, 6% sales tax if it’s not already been paid, and the vehicle registration fee. If you’ve already paid the sales tax, you’ll need to bring proof of payment.

The registration must be completed within the first 30 days or there will be a $20 late fee attached to costs.

California Out of State Vehicle Purchases

Due to California’s strict regulations on vehicles there’s a few extra steps for out of state purchases. California’s emission laws are so strict that many car manufacturers choose to manufacture vehicles that are 49-state certified, meaning they pass federal emission standards, but not California’s. Before you purchase a new truck (any with less than 7,500 miles at the point of purchase), take a look under the hood to see if it is 49-state certified or 50-state certified. If the truck only has a 49-state certification, then you’ll need to have it tested at a smog station. If the vehicle fails the test you can get modifications completed so it can be certified.

Once your new vehicle has passed California’s emissions tests you can go through with the rest of the registration process for California.

Purchasing Trucks With Aftermarket Work

What’s street legal in one state may not necessarily be street legal in another, so make sure to check that any aftermarket work done on the truck you purchase is legal in your home state. It would be horrible to purchase a truck that you then can’t drive in your home state.

So what are you waiting for? Check out the online inventory of used trucks in Olympia, then visit South Sound Trucks to test drive the truck of your dreams and find a new weekend warrior to hit the trails with.